Skip to Content

What happens if I am in a Car Accident and Someone Sues Me?


The first thing you should do is to contact your insurance company or insurance agent immediately and forward and documents you received.  The insurance company has lawyers that will be assigned to your case and they will defend you against any negligence claims.

However, if you are sued for more money than your insurance policy covers, or if your insurance company indicates it may not cover you for everything, you may also need to hire your own attorney.

Also, insurance company lawyers do not handle traffic citations or criminal cases, such as hit-and-run charges.  If you have been cited for traffic violations or have criminal charges such as hit-and-run charges, please contact the Law Offices of Scott D. Hughes for your free consultation.

Share To: